Monday, January 15, 2007

School Starts Tomorrow

That's right... my first class is tomorrow night. I have Chemistry on Tuesday nights and the lab on Thursday mornings. My Anatomy and Physiology class will be on Mondays. I am excited to get started, but a little anxious about when I am going to study. I set up a little study area in the basement today.

It may be a while before I get to use it though, we are having the basement worked on this week. Apparently, the soil around our house in something called "plastic soil" (a soil capable of being molded or deformed continuously and permanently into various shapes by moderate pressure). It basically means that the soil has compacted into the foundation at a fast rate and has created to much pressure for the house to handle. We noticed a problem after all of the snow in December started to melt. The basement was damp around the perimeter and the sump pit was full of water. Needless to say- this has put off any finishing of the basement for a while. The work will start this week. They will be digging up lots of stuff- a 3 ft wide, 9 ft deep hole outside along the house and a few feet deep on the inside perimeter. They will lay drain tiles and some kind of sealant to the concrete inside and out. We will also have 2 sump pumps and a dehumidifier installed. All of this on a 2 year old house! Yikes!

No comments: